Wednesday, February 1, 2012

And Then...

This morning someone went out of their way to compliment me about how well behaved Ellington is.  They told me that I was doing a great job as a Mama.  This compliment meant the WORLD to me.  It's one of the best things I could ever hear.  All day I thought about what she said.  I thought about the fact that she is well behaved because I don't back down.  She knows I am the boss.  Does she test limits?  Of course.  Does she still try to get her way?  Yes.  But I am the Mama.  I always win.  And I realize it's not that simple...it's not about "winning", but it is about letting her know who is in control.  Working where I work, I see sooooo many kids who are in charge at their house.  And the results aren't pretty.  All of this to say....this subject was on my mind today and I had been planning on blogging about it.  And then the afternoon happened.  Isn't that how it always goes?  You think, "Yeah, I've got this" and the two year old shows you that they still have some fight left in them. :)

After nap and snack I decided we should go outside because what else should you do when it's in the 70s in February? 


Ellington quickly got a little bored outside and Robert and I discussed how we should have planned better and gone to the park or to campus.  At this point it was a little late to do either because I needed to cook supper and Robert had to leave for work at 5:30.  There is park near our house, but it's not very good and I honestly would never go there without Robert.  Kinda sketchy sometimes.  In fact, I have only driven by.  We haven't ever been.  We decided to go there since it was close and we would have time.  Well....it was gross and barely had anything that Ellington could do.  There was one slide she could go down and that was it.  I did get some cute pictures though!




On top of the total bust that was the park, Robert was wearing shorts and his legs were being SWARMED by mosquitos...yes, in February.  Oh yeah, we all got muddy shoes as well.  We decided to leave and of course Ellington breaks down like we are taking her away from Disney World.  We get home, I get supper ready, and Ellington proceeds to make us crazy.  She wasn't happy about what she was having and then she (on multiple occasions) chewed up food and then spit it out. She cried and whined through supper.  I was wondering how earlier in the day I thought that I had it all under control.  Robert had to leave for work and I could only wonder..."How in the world will I make it to bedtime?".  Then this mother of the year let Ellington watch an HOUR AND A HALF of television.  Ugh.  Major fail.  I just didn't have anything else left in me!  So anyway, I guess all of this to say...even when you think you have it all together...you probably don't. :)  As I was putting E in her pjs she was acting silly and we had the BEST time together.  

I guess I won't give up just yet. :)

3 comments:

  1. Love the new look of the blog....and yes, they can take you from one extreme to the next in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so feel ya on all these fronts. A lot of days I start out strong, but by afternoon I'm spent. I reeeeaaalllly struggle with the TV. I don't want my kids to sit in front of the TV for long periods, but there are SO many hours in the day. It's hard to keep them content all those hours.

    Like your new blog header!

    ReplyDelete
  3. um, gorgeous new photos in the header! someone very wise told me this: "never take too much credit for the good or the bad." ha! but it's so true. and you're right, the second i think i've got it down, there's something new to tackle.

    ReplyDelete