Thursday, May 23, 2013

Early Contractions

On Sunday things suddenly took a different turn around here.  About 2:00 on Sunday I started feeling contractions.  For some reason I didn't really think a whole lot about it.  We were in the car for a couple of hours and I thought it would definitely get better once I got home and was able to lay down.  Once we got home and I tried to rest, they kept coming.  I decided maybe I should download a contraction counter app and I realized they were coming pretty quickly...definitely less than 10 minutes in between each one.  I realized that maybe this was something I needed to take more seriously. I called the Labor & Delivery floor at the hospital and they told me to take two Tylenol, drink a big glass of water, and count my contractions for an hour.  I continued to have contractions...at this point every 3-6 minutes and they lasted around a minute each.  So, I called back and they wanted me to come to the hospital.  It was kind of shocking but I wasn't freaking out or anything.  Ellington was able to go next door and we called my parents so that they could come get her.  Obviously we had no clue how long we would be at the hospital.  I could be wrong but I think it was about 6:30 at this point.

I was so nervous about going to the hospital because I was worried that I was going to get there and they were going to say, "Um, you aren't having contractions".  Ha.  I don't know why I was worried about that.  Clearly I was having contractions!  We got to the hospital and all hooked up to everything in the world.  I was DEFINITELY having contractions.  They began to give me shots to stop them.  They were the most.painful.shots. I have EVER had.  Oh my.  It was terrible.  They gave the first and that didn't stop them. Then another shot.  Still didn't stop them.  Then a third shot.  And three is all you can have.  The shots never completely stopped the contractions but they did slow them down a little.  In the time that I was there I didn't dilate any more (I was 2 cm when I got there).  So they let me leave about 10:30 I think.  It was a long evening in the hospital but I was really glad we didn't have to spend the night!

We went to see my dr. first thing Monday morning.  We were there for about two hours and had Ellington with us.  She was such a trooper!  They monitored my contractions (still having tons at that point) and did an ultrasound to check on the baby and check my fluid level.  The baby was PERFECT so that was great news. :)  I am now taking medication every 6 hours which is helping a TON.  I still have contractions but they aren't as strong or as often.  I have to rest as much as possible which is much much much harder than I could have ever imagined!

Ellington has been great through all of this.  I am so sad that our last few weeks together won't be normal.  I was really looking forward to spending special time with her before the baby is born.  Now I feel like we'll just be stuck at home. :(  Oh well.  We want to keep the baby in a little longer.  I am 33 weeks 4 days today so we are hoping to make it a few more weeks.  

Tuesday while I was on the couch Ellington dressed up all of her friends to go to a concert. :)  Sweet girl!


So, that's the update from around here!

1 comment:

  1. If the shots were in your cervix, I've had a couple and OMG I feel your pain.

    I hope the baby stays a few more weeks. Better pick a name and pack your bags just in case! It's great that Ellington is taking it all in stride. Sweet girl :)

    ReplyDelete